We're having a Knit Along (KAL)! The KAL project will be Grant Avenue Stroll, a wrap designed by Yvonne Poon, for I Knit San Francisco
, the third book in the "I Knit" series published by One More Row Press. This wrap was inspired by San Francisco's Chinatown and Yvonne's time spent there, growing up and as an adult.
Grant Avenue Stroll is a curved, textured wrap to keep you warm in the cold San Francisco weather (or cold weather anywhere). Five different stitch patterns, worked from south to north, with cables worked at the same time on the western edge will keep your needles knitting and interest high. Garter sections are worked in between each stitch pattern. Integrated i-cords finish the western and eastern edges of the wrap. The curved shape (for easier wearability) is achieved with short rows.
Here are the KAL Kit Details (Updated November 18, 2019):
The Grant Avenue Stroll Knit Along begins Saturday, January 25, 2020, which is also the Lunar New Year! We will kick off the KAL on Saturday, January 25, 2020, with a meet-up where Yvonne will talk about her design and the inspiration behind it. We'll also cast on and get started.
- Kits will be available for pre-order in the shop from Tuesday, November 19 through Saturday, November 30. Sample yarn colors will be on display to assist with your Full Kit choice.
- All pre-orders must be paid in full and are not returnable or exchangeable.
- We are offering two Grant Avenue Stroll KAL Kit options:
- The "Full" Grant Avenue Stroll KAL Kit price is $132 retail and includes 4 skeins of The Dye Project Montara DK (260 yds/skein), a "Knit by the Bay" pin, and the Grant Avenue Stroll pattern. No substitutions.
- The "Mini" Grant Avenue Stroll KAL Kit price is $20 retail and includes a "Knit by the Bay" pin and the Grant Avenue Stroll pattern. We request that you use an alternate yarn purchased from A Yarn Less Raveled to participate in the KAL if you are not purchasing the full kit.
- The yarn in the full kits will be The Dye Project Montara DK, a 100% Corriedale wool DK weight yarn. Each skein is 260 yards. Because you are choosing your yarn color, you will need to come into the shop to place your order. If you do not live in the area and are interested in purchasing a kit, please call the shop.
- Sarah Pedersen is the dyer behind The Dye Project yarns, located in Santa Cruz.
- The Dye Project Montara DK is a hand-dyed yarn. Due to the nature of hand-dyed yarn, the colors you receive in your kit may differ from the shop sample skeins.
- You will be contacted when kits are ready for pick-up, around January 21, 2020.
- If you would like to pick an alternative yarn for this project to accompany the Mini kit, come into the shop, and we'd be happy to help you with that! We request that you use yarn from A Yarn Less Raveled if you participate in this KAL.
If you are interested in purchasing The Dye Project Montara DK yarn a la carte, we are taking special orders for those during this pre-order period as well. Come and check them out even if you're not participating in the KAL!
We'll announce more details, including additional meeting dates and prizes for participation and completion, closer to the Knit Along launch date.